Uttara Kannada style fish curry
- 750 gm Fish Lady fish
- 3/4th Coconut
- 10 Dry red chilly
- 2 tbsp Coriander seeds Roasted
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds Roasted
- 1 tbsp Vate huli
- 1.5 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Green chilly
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Onion-tomato-green chilly paste: In a mixing jar add green chilly, tomato, and onion, blend it to fine paste.
- Red masala paste: In a mixing jar add coconut, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies, garlic, turmeric powder, tamarind paste, vate huli, blend it to fine paste using water.
- In a kadai add oil, onion-tomato-green chilly paste, add salt, mix well, cook for a min by closing lid, add red masala paste, add water, mix well, bring it to boil, as it starts to boil, add fish, mix gently, cook for 2 to 3 mins by closing the lid, switch off the flame, fish doesn’t require much time to cook.
Vate huli :
Vate Huli is also known as Monkey Jack. Its botanical name is Artocarpus lacucha. It is a deciduous tree which grows in tropical and warm climates. It is used to treat anorexia, constipation, fever, obesity, skin diseases, liver diseases and digestive problems. It also has antibacterial and antioxidant properties which provide cooling effect to the body. Fruit and bark are used in lack of appetite, eye diseases and as aphrodisiac.
The sour fruit is dried and used as a substitute for tamarind in curries.